Coconut oil is my best friend, why? Because it is easily available, it is antimicrobial, rich in Vit E & Lauric acid, highly effective on dry skin and it removes my makeup in first place. Read below 13 ways I use coconut oil as a beauty routine.
- Perfect Makeup Remover: This is the most effective formula to remove makeup from your face, even the water-resistant kajal, mascara or any foundation cannot stand against it. You can apply it directly to the face as an oil cleanser and wipe it with a cotton pad. Before you go to bed, make sure you’ve removed your make up to let your skin breath.
- Scrub for your lips: One tablespoon of coconut oil plus two tablespoons of sugar (preferably brown) and one tablespoon of honey. Tada… your delicious lip scrub is all ready to be used.
- Under-eye lotion: Whenever I feel my eyes are getting heavy due to lack of sleep or stress, I take one drop on my ring finger and massage lightly around my eyes. Which helps blood circulate and helps you relax. You can also use coconut oil as a carrier oil and mix it with essential oil to do the procedure.
- Body Moisturizer: you all must be aware that coconut oil is rich in fatty acids, which makes it an effective moisturizer, and absorbs quickly under the skin. It makes your skin soft and radiant, especially in cold weather. Do not apply too much on to your skin which will make it sticky and spoil your fabric.
- Face Moisturizer: I often use coconut oil as a face moisturizer, but not just that, I massage a little for a while and wipe it with cotton and leave a sufficient amount on my skin.
- Lip Balm: while I moisturise my face, I also apply a little on my lips. But not in the day time, only at night before I go to bed. I have another alternative to coconut oil for lips, which is Ghee, a highly hydrated formula for supple and soft lips.
- Hair Massage Oil: Do I need to tell you about this? It’s the universal formula for healthy & shiny hair. I have the best combination to share with you- add half a tablespoon castor oil with 2 tablespoon coconut oil and massage it on to your scalp for at least 15 to 20 min. The results are amazing and I’ve personally experienced it.
- Effective on Dandruff: Right amount of oil and timely scalp moisturising will do the wonders.
- Itch Relief: This is an ancient method told by my mom to me. Be it burns, redness, inflammation, bug bites, or bruises, all be soothed with a balm of coconut oil.
- Deep Conditioner: Coconut oil + Essential oil, this is all you need. You can use warm coconut oil (for it to penetrate faster) and mix it with preferred essential oil as a pre-shampoo treatment to soothe your dry hair before you shampoo and condition. Leave in for at least an hour for an all over moisturizing treatment and effective results.
- Leave-in Conditioner: This works for me since I have curly and dry hair. As soon as I wash and dry partially dry my hair, I take a little oil on my palm and rub it to my hair strands. But I also apply hair serum once my hairs are completely dry. This process makes my hair frizz free and manageable.
- Hair Protectant: Swimming pool I heard? Make sure there is no direct contact of chlorine water to your hair. Coat your hair well in advance with coconut oil before getting it wet.
- Hair Mask: Beat a raw egg, Aloe Vera gel and add 2 tablespoons of warm coconut oil, mix it well and apply it to your scalp and hair, leave it for at least one hour and wash it. This helps in treating split ends and prevent hair from breaking.
Note* Above mentioned uses have worked for me because I have dry skin type, if you have oily skin type and cannot withstand oil and are not comfortable then do not follow it.
Watch this space for more.